Termites are harmful to humans because they feed on wood and other cellulose-based materials, such as the structural timbers in buildings, furniture, books, and paper products. This feeding behaviour can cause significant damage to homes and other structures, leading to costly repairs.
Additionally, termites can weaken the structural integrity of buildings, making them unsafe for you and your loved ones. Furthermore, termites produce excrement and saliva that can attract other pests and contribute to indoor air pollution. They can also cause electrical and plumbing problems by burrowing into electrical wiring and pipes. As a result, termite infestations can pose financial and health risks to humans.
Luckily, there are preventative measures property owners can take to safeguard their property from termites. To avoid termites on your property, you can follow these steps:
- Maintain proper ventilation and moisture control in crawl spaces, attics, and basements to reduce the risk of termite infestation.
- Remove any sources of moisture from your property, such as leaky pipes and clogged gutters, and fix any plumbing problems as soon as they occur.
- Store firewood, paper, and other cellulose-based materials away from your home and remove any dead or decaying wood from your property.
- Keep bushes, shrubs, and trees trimmed and away from your home’s foundation to reduce the risk of termites accessing your property.
- Have a professional conduct a termite inspection of your property at least once a year, especially if you live in an area with a high risk of termite infestations.
At Tom’s Pest Control, we provide expert termite removal services at competitive prices. Our team can handle all types of pest infestation issues, so no matter what termite species gets into your property, our experts can help.